Hot Tamale Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
"Chili today, hot tamale!" Is it the weather report? No, but it can be you announcing a spicy ground beef dish topped with a cornmeal crust that we call Hot Tamale Pie.
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chili con carne (with beans or without)
- 1 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; saute onion and ground beef 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned.
- Drain any liquid and place ground beef in prepared baking dish.
- Add chili, kidney beans, and chili powder; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix with egg and milk. Pour mixture over chili. Bake 25 minutes, or until golden on top.
If you want to make this an extra hot tamale pie, add a dash or two of hot pepper sauce when you add the chili con carne.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 651
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 28g 42 %
- Saturated Fat 12g 60 %
- Trans Fat 1.4g 0 %
- Protein 40g 81 %
- Cholesterol 155mg 52 %
- Sodium 2,092mg 87 %
- Total Carbohydrates 61g 20 %
- Dietary Fiber 12g 47 %
- Sugars 16g 0 %