Slow 'n' Easy Sauerbraten
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Do you speak German? Maybe not, but this Slow 'n' Easy Sauerbraten dish sure does! It's a popular German dish that typically requires lots of labor. Our version is simple, so you can enjoy this superb dish without all the work of the original.
What You'll Need
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) rump roast
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 10 whole cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 gingersnaps, finely crushed
What to Do
- Place roast in a large resealable plastic freezer bag. Combine water and next 8 ingredients; pour over meat. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- Remove meat from marinade, reserving 1-1/2 cups marinade; discard remaining marinade and bay leaves. Pat meat dry with paper towels. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until thoroughly browned. Transfer beef to a 5-quart oval slow cooker; pour reserved marinade over meat.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting 7 to 8 hours or until tender. Transfer roast to a serving platter, reserving juices in slow cooker; keep roast warm.
- Add crushed gingersnaps to juices in slow cooker. Increase to HIGH setting; cover and cook 12 to 15 minutes or until gingersnaps are dissolved and gravy is thickened. Stir well. Serve roast with gravy.
Serve this tender marinated beef and sauce over spaetzle -- tiny noodles -- or dumplings for a classic German dish.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Take the stress out of dinnertime by preparing our easy Weeknight Pesto Chicken! This simple chicken dinner recipe is made with some pretty basic ingredients, but packs in a whole lot of flavor. The best part is that it looks like something that took hours to make (We won't tell if you don't!).