Old-Fashioned Pot Roast
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We love finding old family recipes that are splattered, tattered, and torn 'cause, as you can imagine, it means they've been used over and over again. Our Old-Fashioned Pot Roast is no exception! This recipe's been passed down through generations and is full of traditional, old-fashioned goodness. When you pull this easy pot roast out of the oven, the whole house will smell just like Grandma's kitchen used to when she cooked this old-fashioned recipe up for Sunday dinner.
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup prepared white horseradish
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon browning and seasoning sauce
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mix well. Rinse roast and without drying it, add it to flour mixture; coat roast completely.
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add roast and cook 10 to 12 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Add water and horseradish and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover loosely, and simmer 1-1/2 hours. Add remaining ingredients, including remaining salt and pepper; cover loosely and simmer 40 to 45 minutes, or until meat and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove roast to a cutting board and slice across the grain. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Farmer's Dressing is a creamy, easy-to-make homemade salad dressing that is sure to take your salad to the next level. Filled with delicious cucumbers and a simple spice blend, our Farmer's Dressing will be a delight to drizzle over your salad, whether it's at the potluck or around the dinner table.