Creole Hush Puppies
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 7 dozen
- 15 Min
- COOK TIME
- 8 Min
These Creole Hush Puppies are a definite thumbs up in our family. These fried balls of yummy goodness are so golden, crispy, and ooh so good.
What You'll Need
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 (14-2/3-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (I0-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 5 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (see Note)
What to Do
- Stir together first 5 ingredients. Add cornmeal, and stir just until moistened. Add onions and peppers; stir well.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2-inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360 degrees F. Drop batter by level tablespoonfuls into hot oil; fry hush puppies, a few at a time, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden, turning once.
Use a small ice cream scoop (measures 4 teaspoons) to drop the batter into hot oil for frying. You can also use a measuring tablespoon or a dinner tablespoon, though they might not be quite as round. These hush puppies freeze well up to 3 months. When you're ready to eat, thaw them in a small batches in the microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Then place on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake at 450 degrees F for 4 minutes or until crispy. It's best to use rubber gloves when seeding and chopping jalapenos. The seeds and veins in them are hot and can burn your hands.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Enjoy a healthier-for-you breakfast with our recipe for Loaded Egg Clouds (also known as "cloud eggs"). The "cloud" in the name refers to the fluffy egg whites that surround the yolk. Our recipe also features tasty sausage crumbles, scallions, and pimentos. Serve these egg clouds alongside some toast and fresh fruit and you've got yourself a champion-style breakfast or brunch!