Creole Hush Puppies
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 7 dozen
- 15 Min
- COOK TIME
- 8 Min
These Creole Hush Puppies are a definite thumbs up in our family. These fried balls of yummy goodness are so golden, crispy, and ooh so good.
What You'll Need
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 (14-2/3-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (I0-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 5 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (see Note)
What to Do
- Stir together first 5 ingredients. Add cornmeal, and stir just until moistened. Add onions and peppers; stir well.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2-inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360 degrees F. Drop batter by level tablespoonfuls into hot oil; fry hush puppies, a few at a time, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden, turning once.
Use a small ice cream scoop (measures 4 teaspoons) to drop the batter into hot oil for frying. You can also use a measuring tablespoon or a dinner tablespoon, though they might not be quite as round. These hush puppies freeze well up to 3 months. When you're ready to eat, thaw them in a small batches in the microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Then place on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake at 450 degrees F for 4 minutes or until crispy. It's best to use rubber gloves when seeding and chopping jalapenos. The seeds and veins in them are hot and can burn your hands.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Nothing is more welcoming than a big pot of soup at the end of a long day, and with our recipe for Potato Corn Soup you can whip up a bowl of comfort anytime you want. It takes just about 30 minutes to get this soup on your dinner table, which makes it weeknight-friendly, too!