Italian Layer Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 18 Min
We've all seen those huge fancy cakes at Italian restaurants...you know which ones I mean - the ones that have a bunch of cake layers oozing with whipped cream and cherries. They're like Italian trifle, and this one's laced with rum and almonds. Now we can put it on our dessert menu at home.
What You'll Need
- 1 (18-ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared according to the package directions
- 1 (4-serving size) package instant vanilla pudding and pie filling, prepared according to the package directions
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup light or dark rum
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling, divided
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup chopped almonds
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Divide the cake batter evenly into three 8-inch cake pans that have been coated with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Divide the prepared pudding evenly into 2 small bowls and add the cocoa to one bowl; stir until well blended, making chocolate pudding. In another small bowl, combine the water, rum, and sugar; mix until the sugar dissolves. Pour the rum mixture evenly over the cake layers.
- Place 1 cake layer top side down on a serving platter and top with the vanilla pudding and 1/3 of the cherry pie filling. Place the second cake layer top side down over the pie filling and top with the chocolate pudding and 1/3 of the cherry pie filling. Place the third cake layer top side down over the filling and spoon the remaining pie filling in the center.
- Frost the sides and top of the cake around the cherry pie filling with the whipped topping. Sprinkle the whipped topping with the chopped almonds and chill for at least 2 hours. Serve, or cover and keep chilled until ready to serve.