Really Tender Pot Roast
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
When you sit down for a pot roast dinner there's nothing more satisfying than biting into flavorful and tender meat, which is why we came up with this recipe for Really Tender Pot Roast. Let 'em know there's tender pot roast and then there's really tender pot roast. Now that's what we call a comfort food win!
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven, on the stovetop, over high heat (see note). Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Add roast and cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; saute 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Return roast to pot. Add wine, thyme garlic, broth, and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover pot and bake in the oven for 1-1/2 hours, or until roast is almost tender.
- Add carrots and potatoes to pot. Cover and bake 1 more hour, or until vegetables are tender. REMOVE BAY LEAF FROM POT; DISCARD. Slice roast across the grain and serve with vegetables and pan juices.
Did You Know?
The first metal cooking vessels that resemble today's Dutch ovens were used in the Netherlands in the 17th century, hence the name? Our modern versions are similar, simply thick-walled (usually cast iron) cooking pots with tight-fitting lids. They're often used for recipes that require long cooking either on the stovetop or in the oven, or both in the same recipe. Be sure that the pot you use is oven-proof.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Lookin' for just the right easy dinner recipe to keep your hubby happy? Then our recipe for Newlyweds' Pot Roast might just do the trick. Pop in a movie and get cozy while the pot roast simmers and get ready for those delicious aromas to start wafting from room to room. There's nothing like a homemade pot roast to show your loved one how much you care.