Nutty Banana Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Don't throw out those starting-to-go-brown bananas. Instead, turn them into a great snack with our recipe for Nutty Banana Cake!
What You'll Need
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 6 bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat shortening and 2 cups sugar 1 to 2 minutes, until thoroughly blended. Add eggs and increase speed to high, beating 2 minutes, until fluffy. Fold in bananas and nuts, then fold in flour, buttermilk, and baking soda.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan or on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine remaining 1 cup sugar, butter, and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. After syrup comes to a boil, continue cooking 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, then allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Spread over cake and allow to harden, then cover loosely and chill until ready to serve.
- This cake can also be cut into squares, then covered in the sugar syrup to create petit four-like cake squares.
- Looking for more recipes with buttermilk? Our Best Buttermilk Recipes: 12 Recipes with Buttermilk can help you!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Calories 623
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 31g 47 %
- Saturated Fat 8.8g 44 %
- Trans Fat 0.1g 0 %
- Protein 6.7g 13 %
- Cholesterol 63mg 21 %
- Sodium 187mg 8 %
- Total Carbohydrates 85g 28 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.9g 16 %
- Sugars 59g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.