Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Make this Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Cake recipe, and you'll be transported to a breezy southern porch! Made with generous hospitality and a dash of good manners, this easy chocolate cake recipe will soon be the most charming dessert you've ever tasted. Finding the best chocolate cake ever is no easy task, but it makes sense that you can find it in the sweet South.
What You'll Need
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting (see Note)
What to Do
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray: set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; mix well and set aside. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar, shortening, and butter until fluffy. Beat in eggs until well mixed. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Add buttermilk and vanilla until well mixed. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of each comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
Place 1 cake layer upside-down on a serving platter and frost top. Place second layer over first and frost top and sides. Serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
- Try our recipe for Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting, or use your own chocolate frosting on this cake.
- We've included this chocolate cake in our list of Top 10 Traditional Southern Desserts!
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our free eBook, Classic Cakes: 24 Easy Cake Recipes to Enjoy Year-Round!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Calories 294
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15g 23 %
- Saturated Fat 7.0g 35 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 5.1g 10 %
- Cholesterol 80mg 27 %
- Sodium 212mg 9 %
- Total Carbohydrates 35g 12 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.2g 5 %
- Sugars 18g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Nothing is more welcoming than a big pot of soup at the end of a long day, and with our recipe for Potato Corn Soup you can whip up a bowl of comfort anytime you want. It takes just about 30 minutes to get this soup on your dinner table, which makes it weeknight-friendly, too!