Old Fashioned Southern Chocolate Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Make this Old Fashioned Southern Chocolate Cake recipe, and you'll be transported to a breezy southern porch!
What You'll Need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting (see Note)
What To Do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray: set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; mix well and set aside. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar, shortening, and butter until fluffy. Beat in eggs until well mixed. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Add buttermilk and vanilla until well mixed. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of each comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
Place 1 cake layer upside-down on a serving platter and frost top. Place second layer over first and frost top and sides. Serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
- Try our recipe for Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting, or use your own chocolate frosting on this cake.
- We've included this chocolate cake in our list of Top 10 Traditional Southern Desserts!
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our free eBook, Classic Cakes: 24 Easy Cake Recipes to Enjoy Year-Round!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Nutty Graham Picnic Cake
- Cake Mix Recipes: 39 To-Die-For Recipes with Cake Mix
- Homemade Frosting Recipes: 18 Frosting Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, and More
- Upside-Down Banana Bread
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Classic Cakes: 24 Easy Cake Recipes to Enjoy Year-Round
- 28 Best Bundt Cake Recipes
- Texas Sheet Cake
- Buttercream Frosting
- Pull-Apart Coffee Cake