Red Velvet Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Did you know that ruby-colored red velvet cake, with its sinfully good cream cheese frosting, originated in the South? Our Red Velvet Cake recipe is made with a cake mix, so you can get to enjoying every last velvety forkful a little quicker!
What You'll Need:
- 1 (16.25-ounce) package butter-flavored yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 (1-ounce) bottle red food color
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat cake mix, cocoa, 1/2 cup butter, the water, and eggs until well combined. Add food color and beat until well combined. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes then invert onto wire rack to cool completely. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice each cake in half horizontally, making a total of 4 cake layers.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, milk, and remaining 1/4 cup butter until well combined and smooth.
- Place 1 cake layer cut-side down on a serving platter and top with 1/4 of the frosting, spreading just to the edge. Repeat 3 more times with remaining cake layers and frosting, ending with frosting on top and leaving sides unfrosted. Serve, or cover loosely and chill until ready to serve.
To make a more traditional two-layer cake, watch the video for instructions.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This is the perfect potato casserole for any occasion. It's just as good with your weeknight dinner as it is served for a company-fancy meal. Our Anytime Potatoes are creamy, dreamy, and easy to throw-together. And the crispy topping makes them extra-special!