Velvety Red Velvet Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 30 Min
If you could fall in love with a cake, it would definitely be this rich and moist Velvety Red Velvet Cake. This old-fashioned, Southern red velvet cake recipe is beautiful to look at, but most importantly, delicious till the very last crumb. Doesn't that sound a lot like love?
What You'll Need
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray, then lightly dust with flour.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat shortening, sugar, and eggs 2 to 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and continue beating until well mixed. Gradually add buttermilk, vanilla, and vinegar, beating 2 to 3 minutes, or until thoroughly combined. With a spoon, stir in food color until thoroughly mixed. Spoon batter equally into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top with pecans. Cover loosely and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- For the perfect Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat 1 (8-ounce) package softened cream cheese, 1 stick softened butter, 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat until the frosting is smooth. Use immediately, or cover and chill until ready to use, allowing it to soften again when needed.
- Brownies are a universal favorite, so you just may want to bake up our Sweetheart Brownie for your sweetie!
- Did you know? This is one of our Top 10 Traditional Southern Desserts!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 0 %
- Saturated Fat 0.0 0 %
- Trans Fat 0.0 0 %
- Protein 0.0 0 %
- Cholesterol 0.0 0 %
- Sodium 0.0 0 %
- Total Carbohydrates 0.0 0 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 0 %
- Sugars 0.0 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.