Chilean Corn Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you're a fan of Shepherd's Pie, then you're going to love this unique twist sent to us by Tess in California. Her recipe for Chilean Corn Pie is stuffed with a delicious ground corn mixture, instead of mashed potatoes! We think the hint of sweetness from the corn, paired with the savory meat filling, makes this casserole extra-tasty!
What You'll Need
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 (9-ounce) packages frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
What to Do
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onion and beef until beef is browned and onion is softened; drain off excess fat. Reduce heat to medium, add 1 teaspoon salt, and the cumin. Sprinkle flour over meat and let cook until flour is slightly browned. Stir in broth, then add peas and carrots. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, about 8 minutes, or until mixture has thickened.
- In a blender, combine corn and milk and puree until smooth. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, then add corn mixture and cook about 5 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Stir in remaining salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Place meat mixture in bottom of casserole dish, then spread corn mixture over top, covering completely.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until bubbly and corn begins to brown. Serve immediately.