We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
A dash of cocoa makes this a flavorful chili to reckon with! Serve this chili as is or Cincinnati-style: over spaghetti, layered with kidney beans, chopped onions, shredded Cheddar cheese, and topped with oyster crackers.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to Do
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, brown beef with onion over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, or until no pink remains in meat.
- Drain off any excess liquid then return saucepan to stove and add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Traditional Cincinnati chili includes cocoa powder, which is a mole (pronounced "moe-lay") flavoring popular in traditional Mexican cooking.
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our free eBook, Ground Beef Recipes: 25 Quick & Easy Recipes for Ground Beef!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 370
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18g 28 %
- Saturated Fat 6.9g 35 %
- Trans Fat 1.1g 0 %
- Protein 27g 54 %
- Cholesterol 77mg 26 %
- Sodium 986mg 41 %
- Total Carbohydrates 29g 10 %
- Dietary Fiber 6.9g 28 %
- Sugars 18g 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.