Secret Recipe Chili
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We all know that in Texas, chili is king. So, when the Goode Company Bar-B-Q Restaurant in Houston decided to share their Secret Recipe Chili with us, you can bet we were over the moon. Now that you've got the recipe, we hope your gang brings the appetite!
What You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (see Notes)
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin beef, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds lean pork butt, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (see Notes)
What to Do
In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in beef, pork, cumin, salt, and pepper, and cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until meat is browned.
Stir in beef broth, chili powder, and oregano; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer. Add the masa harina; stir well.
Cover and continue to simmer over low heat 1 hour, or until meat is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
Recipe courtesy of Goode Company Bar-B-Q, Houston, Texas
- If you would like a smokier taste, substitute 3 tablespoons bacon drippings for vegetable oil. And you should find masa harina near the cornmeal in your local supermarket; if you'd prefer, you can use fine cornmeal as a substitute.
- Check out another great recipe we discovered in Texas: Texas Chicken Fried Steak
- If you enjoyed these recipes, you'll surely want to download our free eCookbook, World's Best Chili Recipes: 21 Easy Chili Recipes Everyone Will Love.
Make sure you pair your chili with a side of cornbread! We've got some good ones in our collection of 10 Simple Cornbread Recipes.
- Plus, check out more easy chili recipes in our free eCookbook, World's Best Chili Recipes: 21 Easy Chili Recipes Everyone Will Love.