Mr. McIlhenny's Chili
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Real Texas chili is packed with chunks of beef and hot pepper sauce punch, just like this one that comes from Louisiana, the home of Mr. McIlhenny and his Tabasco® sauces.
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 pounds lean beef chuck roast, well trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco® pepper sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
What to Do
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; add beef and cook 5 minutes. Drain off liquid then add onion and garlic and sauté 5 minutes, until beef is browned on all sides and onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, and Tabasco® sauce; cook 1 minute. Add water and chilies and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, then remove cover and simmer an additional 45 more minutes, or until beef is fork-tender.
Mr. McIlhenny suggests serving this over hot cooked rice, garnished with chopped onions, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Mmm, mmm!