Homemade Gingerbread Cookies
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- SERVING SIZE
- 1 cookie
- COOK TIME
- 10 Min
If you love gingerbread, you're going to love our recipe for Homemade Gingerbread Cookies. These slice and bake cookies are going to be a blast to make with the kids this Christmas! They're chewy, delicious, and packed with that yummy gingerbread flavor. Just make sure you make a double batch; they're going to go fast when you serve them with ice cold milk!
What You'll Need
- 3 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons baking soda, dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
What to Do
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together butter, dark brown sugar, and grated ginger until fluffy. Beat in molasses. Gradually add flour, alternating with baking soda mixture.
- Shape dough into two logs (2-inches diameter each) and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until firm.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice dough into 1/4-inch slices. Dip one side of each cookie in granulated sugar. Place cookies, sugar-side up on baking sheets, about 2-inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies begin to crack.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to let cool completely. Serve or keep stored in an airtight container.
Garnish these with a a bit of powdered sugar and some fun candies for an extra-festive look!