Watermelon: Enjoy It All Year Long - 30 Easy Watermelon Recipes from Mr. Food Free eCookbook
How to Make a Gingerbread House
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Have you ever wished you knew how to make a gingerbread house? Now you do! Our easy gingerbread house recipe is no fuss...and sure to create smiles when you're making it and all throughout the holiday season.
What You'll Need
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 egg whites or equivalent in egg white powder (see Note)
What to Do
- Using cardboard or waxed paper, cut 1 pattern for each piece shown in diagram below. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking soda, and salt; mix well and set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat shortening and granulated sugar until creamy. Add molasses and whole eggs; beat until well combined. Slowly stir in flour mixture until a smooth dough forms. Divide dough into 3 balls. Place 1 ball of dough on back of a baking sheet. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using patterns, use a sharp knife to cut out two front/back pieces; remove any excess dough from around pieces.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Allow to cool slightly then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, repeat with another dough ball, cutting and baking two side pieces. Repeat with third dough ball, cutting and baking two roof pieces. Form scraps into a ball, roll out, and cut and bake one base piece.
- Make icing by beating confectioners' sugar and egg whites in a large bowl until smooth. Place in a pastry bag with a small tip (or place in a resealable plastic storage bag and cut a tiny piece off a bottom corner of the bag).
Make 1 Front piece & 1 Back piece: 7-1/2" from base to center of top, 5" side, 6" bottom
Make 2 Side pieces: 7" x 5" each
Make 2 Roof pieces: 8" x 5" each
Make 1 Base piece: 7" x 6"
- Place base flat side down in the center of a large platter or piece of foil-wrapped cardboard. Lay sides and ends of gingerbread house flat-side down around base. Pipe icing all around edges of each piece.
- Carefully lift and press edges of back piece and one side together, sealing with icing. Lift front piece and remaining side and hold in place until house is secure; let stand for a few minutes. Add additional icing to strengthen joints.
- Place one roof piece in place. Pipe icing along inside edge of that piece and place second roof piece in place. Pipe icing along all house seams for extra support and allow to dry.
- Add frosted mini shredded wheat "shingles" to roof and a graham cracker "chimney," "Windows," and "doors," securing them with icing. Pipe icing "icicles" all around lower edges of roof.
Decorate house and yard with any of these, using icing as glue:
- hard candies
- red-hot cinnamon candies
- spearmint leaves (these make great trees!)
- anything else you dream up!
Makes 1 house (see Note).
If raw egg whites are used in the icing, don't eat this. Just use it for fun and decoration only.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you love to make pancakes from scratch, then you'll love our Blueberry Cream Cheese Pancakes! These easy pancakes are going to make breakfast time that much sweeter! The juicy blueberries, and perfectly creamy cream cheese make these pancakes the most decadent breakfast ever served.
Watermelon Centerpieces That Wow: How to Make a Watermelon Basket
How to Make Candy: 12 Easy Chocolate Candy Recipes
Cake Baking Secrets: Tips & Tricks for Baking Flawless Cakes
Table Setting 101
Types of Onions and How to Choose the Right Onion
Types of Corn and How to Choose Corn
Dynamite Dip Tips
How to Freeze a Casserole
Make Ahead Casserole Tips
Easy Recipes for College Students