The Originators of Quick & Easy Cooking!
Time to Check Your Spice Rack
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
The new year is the perfect time to organize our spice rack and check it for freshness. We'll tell you why.
What to Do
Wanna take advantage of all those great herbs and spices in your spice rack? Our easy recipe for flavor-packed Cincinnati Chili is a great start!
Speaking of your spice rack, you know, nothing lasts forever…including those half-filled bottles of herbs and spices on our spice racks! Most herbs and spices lose their flavorful punch if we keep them past their peak of freshness, so now’s the perfect time to take stock of them. Here are some freshness facts and tips for bottled herbs and spices:
- Bottled dry spices should really be replaced at least every 2 years since, over time, as air gets to them when they're open, they lose their full tasty benefits. If you've transferred them to decorative spice bottles that may have come with your spice rack, attach a label to the bottom of the jar so you know the expiration date of the spice.
- Another freshness indicator is that most spices have a bright, rich color and a strong aroma when we open the bottle. If either seems weak, it’s time to replace it.
- Keeping herbs and spices in a cabinet, away from heat and light rather than on top of or near the stove, can also add to their life. Though it seems convenient to have them near the stove, that's actually one of the worst places, since heat can make them lose their potency and freshness even quicker.
- You don't have to break the bank by buying a whole load of spices at one time. Instead, make a habit of picking up one new herb or spice each time you go to the market, and always in a small container. That way, you can help keep them fresh.
To spice things up at your table in the new year, get some new spices for seasoning your food. All season and all year long, you're sure to have a more flavorful...
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Lemon-Caper Fish Fillets
Did you know fish is the ultimate fast food? We're not talking about the stuff you get at a drive thru. These sunny-tasting fish fillets cooks up in just 8 minutes! You read that right. Our Lemon-Capers Fish Fillets combine lemon juice and the tangy flavor of capers to add just the right amount of "wow" to this easy dinner recipe!
- How to Freeze a Casserole
- How to Bake a Perfect Cheesecake
- How to Make a Gingerbread House
- Types of Onions and How to Choose the Right Onion
- Tips to Cool Down Hot Peppers
- Watermelon Centerpieces That Wow: How to Make a Watermelon Basket
- Leftover Storage Tips
- Table Setting 101
- How to Plan a Perfect Buffet
- Artichokes: From the Field to the Table