Grilled Walnut Topping
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Old-fashioned ice cream parlors used to serve a topping called Wet Nuts and boy, oh boy, were they good! Bring back those tasty memories by using your grill and just a few ingredients.
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups shelled walnut pieces
- 1 cup maple or pancake syrup
What to Do
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon; mix well and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the egg whites and water. Add the walnuts, mixing to coat them evenly. Add the cinnamon and sugar mixture and mix to coat evenly again. Place the mixture in an 8-inch square disposable aluminum pan. Grill for 7 to 9 minutes, mixing often, until the nuts and sugar begin to brown. Mix in the maple syrup and heat thoroughly.
- Remove from the grill and cool slightly before serving over ice cream.
The walnuts get very hot, so be careful! Make sure they cool slightly before handling them or putting them over ice cream.