Carolina Shredded Chicken Sandwich
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
What do you get when you pair BBQ-smothered, juicy chicken thighs with homemade coleslaw, and place it between the buns of a crusty roll? Just the most incredible Carolina Shredded Chicken Sandwich you've ever tasted! This sandwich is summer spectacular!
What You'll Need
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) package coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 kaiser or potato rolls, cut in half and toasted
What to Do
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken and onion 12 to 15 minutes, or until onion begins to brown. Stir in barbecue sauce, water, and brown sugar, cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until no pink remains in the chicken.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board. Using 2 forks, shred chicken by pulling it apart. Return chicken to skillet and stir until evenly coated with sauce. Over medium heat, cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine coleslaw, oil, vinegar, granulated sugar, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly over rolls, top with coleslaw, and serve.
Wanna give this a rich, smoky flavor? Cook it or reheat it in a cast iron skillet on the grill. It's perfect for summer entertaining!