Chicken Salad Pitas
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Ever forget to buy bread or fillings for the family's lunch boxes? Never again! Just freeze these great-tasting treats and have them ready whenever they're needed.
What You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small green or red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup canned chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 5 pita breads, each cut in half
- Butter, at room temperature
What to Do
- In a small bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the peppers and onion for 5 minutes, or until peppers are crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
- Add the chicken and chick peas. Add Worcestershire mixture and toss until well coated.
- Spread inside of pita halves with butter and fill with chicken mixture. Serve immediately, or freeze if desired.
To freeze, place sandwiches in individual sandwich bags. Sandwiches may be kept frozen for 2 weeks. Allow 2 to 3 hours to thaw. Great for school lunches -- from freezer to lunchbox to tummy in just about the right amount of time.