Creole Black Eyed Peas
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Black-eyed peas (also known as cowpeas) are not really peas at all; they're black pigmented lentils. The custom of eating them on New Year's Day for luck dates back to the Egyptian pharaohs.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (15.5-ounce) cans fresh shelled black-eyed peas
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 ham-flavored bouillon cube
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
What to Do
- Brown sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from Dutch oven.
- Saute onions, bell pepper, and garlic in Dutch oven until tender.
- Stir in sausage, peas, and next 4 ingredients; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring often. Stir in parsley.