Easy Stewed Tomatoes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you've ever wondered how to make stewed tomatoes like Grandma used to, this recipe is what you're looking for! These Easy Stewed Tomatoes are a sure-fire family favorite with down-home goodness that tastes better than the store-bought kind. Now you can whip up this recipe for stewed tomatoes any day of the week and take a trip down memory lane, all the way back to Grandma's kitchen!
What You'll Need:
- 6 to 8 fresh, very ripe tomatoes, peeled, or 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups crumbled bread (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon diced onion (optional)
What To Do:
Put tomatoes in a large deep skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients and cook until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Serve it hot as a side dish.
- We use canned tomatoes most of the time 'cause it's so much easier, but if you've got a lot of fresh starting-to-go-soft tomatoes around, this will turn them into a delicious, easy stewed tomatoes dinner.
- We've got even more easy tomato recipes where this came from! Check out our collection of Fresh Tomato Recipes: 20 Can't-Miss Recipes with Tomatoes.
- If you loved these Easy Stewed Tomatoes, check out our free eCookbook, Tasty, Easy Vegetable Recipes: 35 Vegetable Side Dishes, Dinners, and More.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 186
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8g 15 %
- Saturated Fat 5.7g 28 %
- Trans Fat 0.4g 0 %
- Protein 3.9g 8 %
- Cholesterol 23mg 8 %
- Sodium 1,068mg 45 %
- Total Carbohydrates 23g 8 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.1g 12 %
- Sugars 9.7g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.