Easy Stewed Tomatoes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you've ever wondered how to make stewed tomatoes like Grandma used to, this recipe is what you're looking for! These Easy Stewed Tomatoes are a sure-fire family favorite with down-home goodness that tastes better than the store-bought kind. Now you can whip up this recipe for stewed tomatoes any day of the week and take a trip down memory lane, all the way back to Grandma's kitchen!
What You'll Need
- 6 to 8 fresh, very ripe tomatoes, peeled, or 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups crumbled bread (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon diced onion (optional)
What to Do
Put tomatoes in a large deep skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients and cook until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Serve it hot as a side dish.
- We use canned tomatoes most of the time 'cause it's so much easier, but if you've got a lot of fresh starting-to-go-soft tomatoes around, this will turn them into a delicious, easy stewed tomatoes dinner.
- We've got even more easy tomato recipes where this came from! Check out our collection of Fresh Tomato Recipes: 20 Can't-Miss Recipes with Tomatoes.
- If you loved these Easy Stewed Tomatoes, check out our free eCookbook, Tasty, Easy Vegetable Recipes: 35 Vegetable Side Dishes, Dinners, and More.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 186
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8g 15 %
- Saturated Fat 5.7g 28 %
- Trans Fat 0.4g 0 %
- Protein 3.9g 8 %
- Cholesterol 23mg 8 %
- Sodium 1,068mg 45 %
- Total Carbohydrates 23g 8 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.1g 12 %
- Sugars 9.7g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Here's a recipe that's anything but taxing! Uncle Sam's Pulled Pork is a budget-friendly, weeknight winner. In this recipe, we slow cook boneless pork butt to perfection with some chopped onions and a can of cola. A little BBQ sauce and it's ready to go! Just pile it onto a roll along with some of our homemade coleslaw and you're set for lots of "yum!"