We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This Greek favorite has a few shortcuts, which land it on your table in no time! Easy Moussaka, with tender layers of eggplant, ground beef and a creamy custard topping, makes 'em shout "Opa!" every time you serve it!
What You'll Need:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, sauté the ground beef over medium-high heat 7 to 8 minutes, or until crumbly and only slightly pink; drain off any excess liquid.
- Add the eggplant to the skillet and sauté 5 to 6 minutes, until the eggplant begins to soften. Add the garlic, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper; mix well. Add the spaghetti sauce and cook 4 to 5 more minutes, until hot; place mixture in the baking dish.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until smooth, 3-4 minutes. Add the warm milk to the flour mixture, 1 cup at a time whisking continuously until smooth. Bring to a boil, stir in remaining salt and cook for 2-4 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meat mixture.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the custard-like top is set.
- If you want to make this a day or two before serving, go ahead. Just put it together through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate the meat mixture in the baking dish until ready to finish as directed in Steps 4 and 5.
- We've got some yummy ideas to make this Easy Moussaka recipe part of a complete Greek-inspired menu! How about starting out with The Ultimate Greek Layered Salad and finishing with our recipe for Classic Baklava?
- If you're looking for more easy international recipes like this one, be sure to download our FREE eCookbook, International Favorites: 6 Menus from Around the World.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 538
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 36g 55 %
- Saturated Fat 17g 83 %
- Trans Fat 1.9g 0 %
- Protein 35g 69 %
- Cholesterol 138mg 46 %
- Sodium 1,078mg 45 %
- Total Carbohydrates 19g 6 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.6g 10 %
- Sugars 11g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
These peanut butter muffins are worth a presidential seal of approval - they're that good! Our Presiential Peanut Muffins are crazy-moist and are topped with a nutty streusel mixture that makes them addictively-good. You won't want to pass up on these!