Greens and Beans
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This Italian specialty is a worldwide favorite. And what a combo it is! If you've never tried greens and beans, you're in for a treat.
What You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 of a medium-sized onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15½-ounce) can Great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 head escarole, washed, drained, and coarsely chopped
What to Do
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and salt and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
- Add half of the beans then mash the remaining beans in the can with a fork. Add the mashed beans to the pot and cook for 3 minutes. Add the escarole and cook for 5 minutes, until slightly wilted, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the escarole is tender. Serve immediately.
If you'd prefer, cannellini (white kidney beans) or even garbanzo beans (chick peas) can be substituted for the Great Northern beans. Use whatever you like best.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Lookin' for just the right easy dinner recipe to keep your hubby happy? Then our recipe for Newlyweds' Pot Roast might just do the trick. Pop in a movie and get cozy while the pot roast simmers and get ready for those delicious aromas to start wafting from room to room. There's nothing like a homemade pot roast to show your loved one how much you care.