Greens and Beans
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This Italian specialty is a worldwide favorite. And what a combo it is! If you've never tried greens and beans, you're in for a treat.
What You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 of a medium-sized onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15½-ounce) can Great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 head escarole, washed, drained, and coarsely chopped
What to Do
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and salt and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
- Add half of the beans then mash the remaining beans in the can with a fork. Add the mashed beans to the pot and cook for 3 minutes. Add the escarole and cook for 5 minutes, until slightly wilted, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the escarole is tender. Serve immediately.
If you'd prefer, cannellini (white kidney beans) or even garbanzo beans (chick peas) can be substituted for the Great Northern beans. Use whatever you like best.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We've got what we think is the Best Broccoli Salad, and we're betting you'll agree! This garden-fresh broccoli salad is tossed in a creamy homemade dressing and livened up with a few surprises, so it's sure to be one of your favorite easy broccoli recipes for potluck parties! But nothing says you have to take this recipe to a party. This easy broccoli salad is perfect for summer lunches or as a fresh dinner dish. It has just the right amount of creamy flavor to make this broccoli salad a recipe you'll want to make again and again.