We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This fork-tender recipe for flavorful brisket of beef is a perfect make-ahead. Not only do we get the bonus of extra time, but the leftovers make for sensational sandwiches!
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (3-pound) boneless beef brisket, well trimmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 1 pound carrots
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces (1-1/4 cups) pitted dried prunes
What to Do
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the brisket and brown on both sides. Add the onion around the brisket; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly, and simmer 2 hours.
- Add the carrots, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, and pepper; cover and cook 45 to 60 minutes, or until the brisket is fork-tender.
- Uncover, add the prunes, and cook about 5 more minutes, or until prunes are tender.
- Slice the brisket across the grain and serve topped with the carrots, prunes, and sauce.