Country-Bumpkin Fried Steak
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- SERVING SIZE
- 1 (6-ounce) steak and 1/3 cup gravy
- COOK TIME
- 15 Min
Country-Bumpkin Fried Steak is a down-home old-fashioned favorite in the South, Midwest, and Southwest. No matter where you live, this easy skillet meal has an extra-special country-fried topping that's sure to win raves at your dinner table!
What You'll Need:
- 4 beef cubed steaks, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
What To Do:
- Season steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Place buttermilk in a shallow dish. Place cornmeal in another shallow dish. Dip steaks in buttermilk then in cornmeal, coating completely.
- In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat shortening until hot but not smoking. Add steaks in batches and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and coating is golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add 3 tablespoons flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until flour is browned, stirring constantly. Add milk and stir until gravy is thickened. Serve steaks topped with gravy.
Want even more "Quick & Easy" dinner recipes? Check out our free eCookbook, Fuss-Free Meals: 35 Simple Skillet Recipes and One-Pot Recipes!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 675
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39g 61 %
- Saturated Fat 16g 80 %
- Trans Fat 0.1g 0 %
- Protein 34g 68 %
- Cholesterol 106mg 35 %
- Sodium 760mg 32 %
- Total Carbohydrates 45g 15 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.9g 12 %
- Sugars 6.9g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Tired of serving chicken breasts the same ol' way every time? If so, then you'll love this recipe for Cheesy Baked Chicken. These chicken breasts have a cracker crumb coating made from crushed cheese crackers and sesame seeds, so you can expect lots of crunch and flavor in every bite. Plus, this one is done in just about 30 minutes, which makes it great for busy weeknights!