Aunt Mickie's Sponge Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The first time we tried Aunt Mickie's Sponge Cake we were so impressed by how light and airy the cake was that we had to ask for the recipe. This simple sponge cake recipe is perfect for any of your get-togethers. You can even swap out the flavorings to make it new each time!
What You'll Need
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line the bottom of a tube pan (NOT a Bundt pan) with either wax or parchment paper. Do not grease pan.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. This will take 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your mixer.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add extract and lemon juice, mix until combined.
- Fold flour and baking powder into egg yolk mixture. Once evenly combined, fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Pour batter into an UNGREASED tube pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool slightly. While still warm, run a knife around the edges of the tube pan as well as around the center tube.
- Invert tube pan onto a plate and leave cake in pan. When cake is ready, it will fall out on its own. Once this happens, flip over again onto serving plate.
Click here to check out a video of Howard making Aunt Mickie's Sponge Cake. You'll learn how to make a sponge cake in no time!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you're looking for a crowd pleaser, look no further than our all-time favorite Chocolate Chip Cheesecake. The creamy filling between two layers of chocolate chip cookie dough make this a heavenly treat that no one can resist. Don't be surprised when they reach for two of these chocolate chip cheesecake bars!