We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you've driven through the farmlands of the South, you've most likely seen fields of cotton, tobacco, and plump, juicy watermelons. We thought we'd use some fresh watermelon in this southern recipe for Watermelon Cake. The best part? No seeds!
What You'll Need
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 (4-serving) package watermelon-flavored gelatin (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups cubed and seeded watermelon, well drained, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater on low speed, beat cake mix, gelatin mix, flour, oil, and 1 cup watermelon until well mixed. Beat in eggs one at a time until well blended.
- Divide batter between the two pans. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of each comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat butter and sugar. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup watermelon until smooth.
- Place 1 cake layer upside down on a serving plate then frost the top. Place second layer over first and frost the top and sides. Serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
If you can't find watermelon-flavored gelatin, you can replace it with strawberry or mixed fruit. With the fresh watermelon in here, either of those flavors should work fine.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This ain't your grandma's old-fashioned spaghetti. While grandma's traditional pasta is always delicious, sometimes we want to try something new. Our California Dreaming Pasta Toss is one of the best pasta recipes you've never heard about. The butter, walnuts, and spinach give it a fresh flavor that will leave you feeling satisfied. Trust us, once you try it, you'll be dreaming about making it again and again.