We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Put away the eggs, the milk, and the butter 'cause you won't need them to make this Depression-era recipe for Crazy Cake. The best part? The surprise you're gonna experience when you realize that this chocolate cake still tastes SO GOOD, even without those ingredients!
What You'll Need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) container vanilla frosting
- 1/2 (16-ounce) container chocolate frosting
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients except frostings. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth, then pour into baking dish.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Spread vanilla frosting over top of cake. In a small microwaveable bowl, heat chocolate frosting 10 seconds, or until pourable, the drizzle over white frosting in a crazy pattern.
- We've got another delicious chocolate cake with a "missing ingredient." Click here to see what it is!
Did You Know?: During the Great Depression, many families had a hard time coming by ingredients such as eggs, milk, and butter. Rather than giving up some of their favorite treats, like cake, folks began to experiment in their own kitchens, learning how to substitute ingredients or leaving them out altogether. It was during one of these experiments that the Crazy Cake (also commonly referred to as "Depression Cake" or "War Cake") was born. Fortunately, there's nothing depressing about this cake! Moist and chocolatey, many people still make it today (even when they do have eggs and milk in the fridge!).
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.