Homestyle Fried Chicken
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 1 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 35 Min
- READY IN
- 1 Hr 35 Min
Chef Art Smith shares his recipe for Homestyle Fried Chicken with the Mr. Food Test Kitchen and we can guarantee that one bite of this southern classic and you'll be in comfort food heaven!
What You'll Need:
- 1 (3-1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
What To Do:
- In a large bowl, toss chicken, buttermilk, and salt. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 inch oil until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, mix flour, paprika, pepper, and garlic powder. Remove dark meat from buttermilk, shake off excess, and roll in flour mixture. Shake off excess flour, place in hot oil, and fry about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through, turning occasionally. (Adjust heat, as needed.) Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Reheat oil to 360 degrees F. Repeat with chicken breasts and wings, frying about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through, turning occasionally. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Be on the lookout for Art Smith’s new cookbook “Art Smith’s Healthy Comfort” by Harper One available May 2013!
Want even more chicken dinner recipes? Check out our collection of Southern Fried Chicken Recipes: 9 Easy Fried Chicken Recipes.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Don't be surprised if your next-door neighbors come knocking on the door after getting a whiff of your Slow Cooker Country Pot Roast. The smell of this tender beef roast cooking up in your slow cooker all day is enough to get everyone rushing to your dinner table!