The Originators of Quick & Easy Cooking!
Lower Sodium Black Bean Chili
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
- 10 Min
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
If you love an easy chili recipe but are trying to watch your sodium intake, then you're going to want to check out this recipe for our Lower Sodium Black Bean Chili. It's so easy to put together and cooks up in only about 20 minutes, so we bet you'll be making this all the time. Your family won't even be able to tell you've made a healthier version!
What You'll Need
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (12-ounce) package meatless burger crumbles
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium fat-free chicken broth (see note)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes with jalapenos, undrained
What to Do
- Rinse and drain 2 cans black beans. (Do not drain third can.)
- Heat oil in a soup pot or large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion and burger crumbles, and saut 6 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder and next 3 ingredients; saut 1 minute. Stir in drained and undrained beans, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve chili with desired toppings such as sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, lime wedges, sliced jalapeno peppers, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes, or corn chips.
A 14-ounce can of vegetable broth may be substituted for the chicken broth, if desired; if you substitute, omit the salt in the recipe. You can also substitute 1 pound ground round for meatless burger crumbles. Omit the vegetable oil, and saut ground round with onion for 10 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Proceed as directed in recipe.
This recipe is from The Best of Mr. Food Cookbook Series Oxmoor House, Inc. If you would like more recipes like this, click here.