Stuffed Chilies Soufflé
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Chiles Rellenos, which means "stuffed chilies", is a popular dish in Mexico. The traditional dish is really tasty, so, with our busy schedules these days, I decided to keep the taste but make it into a quick soufflé instead of time-consuming individual servings.
What You'll Need
- 4 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained, patted dry, and cut lengthwise in half
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Spread half of the chilies over the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish that has been coated with nonstick vegetable spray. Top with the cheese, then with the onion. Cover with the remaining chilies.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and evaporated milk; pour over the chilies. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and bake for 18 to 20 more minutes, or until golden and set. Cool for 3 to 4 minutes before cutting and serving.
If you'd rather, shredded Cheddar cheese or even a blend of cheeses can be substituted for the Monterey Jack cheese.