We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
When we hear "gumbo," we automatically think of Louisiana 'cause it started there and that's where they make it best! Here's a nice one that's easy enough for us.
What You'll Need
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, broken up
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound fresh or thawed frozen fish fillets, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole okra, thawed, or 1 (14-1/4-ounce) can whole okra, drained
What to Do
- In a soup pot over medium heat, cook onion, celery, green pepper, 1 tablespoon parsley, and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, chili powder, salt, paprika, and Cajun seasoning; stir into vegetables. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water; simmer 4 to 6 minutes. Add fish and okra; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes more, or until fish flakes easily with a fork and okra is tender.
Serve with hot cooked rice and garnish with chopped parsley.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We took a few shortcuts to make this recipe for Satisfying Shepherd's Pie, because we know that sometimes the cravings for shepherd's pie come on suddenly and you have to have it fast! Boy do we love this hearty meat, potato, and veggie casserole.