Gooey Caramel Popcorn Balls
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Popcorn is more popular than ever! We eat it at the movies, at the circus, at ball games, and as a quick snack. But what about fancier occasions? How 'bout making chocolate popcorn balls!
What You'll Need
- 1 cup (6 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
What to Do
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the chocolate chips and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring until the chocolate melts. Stir in the water, sugar, and salt. Without stirring again, heat the mixture to boiling and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage (245 degree F. on a candy thermometer); see Note.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla; stir until the butter melts. Pour the chocolate mixture over the popcorn and let cool slightly.
- With your hands, carefully form the popcorn into 2-inch balls and place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheets. If the mixture is too hot, let it cool a bit more before proceeding. Allow the balls to cool completely at room temperature then serve, or store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Makes about 2 dozen.
To test the chocolate for the soft ball stage: Drop a bit of the mixture from a teaspoon into a glass of cold water. If it hardens, then it has reached the soft ball stage. If not, continue to cook the mixture then test it again after a bit.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Whether you're a dunker or a dipper, our Parmesan Onion Board is the perfect addition to your best soup recipes! It's got the bold flavors of onion, poppy seeds, and Parmesan cheese, and let's face it, that goes with just about anything!