Old-Fashioned Potato Doughnuts
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
These aren't just your run-of-the-mill doughnuts. Our Old-Fashioned Potato Doughnuts are unexpectedly addictive! They're made with a delicious combo of mashed potatoes, buttermilk, and other tasty ingredients. They have a dense, cake-like texture to them that makes them extra-yummy. Once you try these easy potato doughnuts, there's no looking back!
What You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup lightly packed mashed potatoes (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to Do
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add potatoes and buttermilk and beat until smooth. Add 2 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and beat just until evenly mixed. Do not over mix.
- Generously dust your countertop with flour. Place dough on countertop and turn to coat with flour.
- Gently press dough out with your hands to 1/2-inch thickness and cut into rounds using a 3-inch donut cutter or biscuit cutter and 1-inch bottle cap for center hole. Gather scraps of dough and gently press out again as needed until all dough is used.
- In a soup pot, heat shortening over medium heat to 375 degrees, using a thermometer. Working in small batches, cook donuts 2 to 3 minutes per side or until puffed and golden brown on both sides, turning once during cooking. Transfer to a paper towel-lined platter.
- For this recipe, you must use plain mashed potatoes with no added ingredients.
- To make your own glaze, whisk 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, 3 tablespoons water, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extact until smooth. Dip donut in glaze, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips or sprinkles, and let sit 10 minutes or until glaze is set.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you're looking for a nostalgic strawberry shortcake recipe, our Icebox Strawberry Shortcake Bars will make you feel like a kid again. The creamy strawberry taste is perfect for an outdoor picnic, a get-together, or as a romantic dessert.