South of the Border Doughnuts
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 3 to 3-1/2 dozen
- COOK TIME
- 2 Min
Mexicans call these bunuelos. Americans call them South of the Border Doughnuts. No matter what you call 'em, they're perfect for an after-siesta (or anytime) nibble.
What You'll Need
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (or more as needed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
What to Do
- In a shallow pan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and remaining sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, blending well. Mix in 1 cup flour, the baking powder, and salt; mix well and blend in milk. Add remaining flour and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 1 or 2 minutes, until dough is smooth, kneading in more flour if dough is still too sticky to handle.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness, flouring the surface and the rolling pin lightly, if the dough sticks. Cut dough with a 2-inch round cookie cutter.
- In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat 2 inches of oil over medium heat, until hot but not burning or smoking (350 degrees F).
- Fry six 2-inch rounds at a time, turning often with tongs, until puffy and golden, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and toss in coating mix while still hot.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you love to make pancakes from scratch, then you'll love our Blueberry Cream Cheese Pancakes! These easy pancakes are going to make breakfast time that much sweeter! The juicy blueberries, and perfectly creamy cream cheese make these pancakes the most decadent breakfast ever served.