We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
You'll never guess what the secret ingredient is in our Pierogi Lasagna. But we're happy to tell you: it's seasoned mashed potatoes! That's right, this recipe combines tasty Italian lasagna and the succulent Polish pierogi, to make a mouthwatering dinner recipe that is totally unexpected. Talk about a totally winning combination! Topped with zesty Cheddar cheese, this vegetarian lasagna is a must-have for your shortcut recipe collection.
What You'll Need
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 onions, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes, store-bought or homemade
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add salt to onions and saute 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned; reserve 1/2 cup sautéed onions for topping. Add remaining onions, the pepper, and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.
- Place 3 noodles on bottom of baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potato mixture over noodles. Repeat layers until a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of potato mixture have been placed (with a layer of noodles on top). Top with reserved sautéed onions.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.
So Many Options
- Feel free to add some cooked sliced mushrooms to the potatoes, or maybe a cup of well-drained sauerkraut. And season your mashed potatoes however you like them...salt, pepper, and butter work fine!
- Make this a freezer-friendly recipe: Follow recipe above except for baking. Cover assembled recipe with a few layers of foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze. When ready to eat, place frozen entree in fridge to thaw for 24 hours in advance. Once thawed, cook at regular time and temperature. Click here for more tips & tricks on freezing our recipes.
- If you enjoyed our Pierogi Lasagna, check out our collection of 22 Easy Lasagna Recipes, and be sure to try our All-in-One Pierogi Skillet!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Calories 443
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 29g 44 %
- Saturated Fat 8.7g 44 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 9.4g 19 %
- Cholesterol 30mg 10 %
- Sodium 359mg 15 %
- Total Carbohydrates 37g 12 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.6g 11 %
- Sugars 4.7g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You may be serving pasta as the main dish, but when you serve our recipe for Crispy Sesame Artichokes on the side, you're going to have yourself a main attraction. These tender-cooked artichoke hearts are crispy-coated and full of flavor. Plus, they taste even better when dipped into our creamy lemon sauce!