We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Heat up your Oktoberfest celebrations with Sausage Bake. It's a meaty delight your guests are sure to love!
What You'll Need
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (see Option)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried dill or mixed herbs (like dried chives, parsley, and basil)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound kielbasa or other smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch angled slices
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and dill. Make a well in the center and pour in the beaten eggs and milk; mix by hand just until smooth.
- Fill a large pot half-full with water and add the remaining 1 teaspoon salt; bring the water to a hard, rolling boil over high heat.
- Over the pot, with a wide, slotted spoon, scoop out a spoonful of batter and shake lightly until it breaks into strands that fall into the water; the pieces of batter will congeal to form spaetzle. When the spaetzle float to the top, remove them with a clean slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels; repeat until no batter remains. Place spaetzle in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add onion, and saute 7 to 8 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add kielbasa to skillet and saute 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon kielbasa mixture over spaetzle and sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
If you prefer not to make your own spaetzle, you can cook packaged dried spaetzle according to its directions, place it in a baking dish as above, and proceed with Step 4.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 545
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 21g 32 %
- Saturated Fat 9.7g 49 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 30g 61 %
- Cholesterol 197mg 66 %
- Sodium 1,603mg 67 %
- Total Carbohydrates 59g 20 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.5g 14 %
- Sugars 6.3g 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Farmer's Dressing is a creamy, easy-to-make homemade salad dressing that is sure to take your salad to the next level. Filled with delicious cucumbers and a simple spice blend, our Farmer's Dressing will be a delight to drizzle over your salad, whether it's at the potluck or around the dinner table.