South of the Border Steak Sandwiches
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This is a South-of-the-Border version of a Philly cheese steak sandwich. That means it's got that great Mexican spiciness!
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into short, thin strips
- 3/4 cup medium picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 3 (8-inch) hoagie or hero rolls, split
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
What to Do
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add steak and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until steak is no longer pink. Add picante sauce, cumin, and garlic powder. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 more minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the rolls cut side up on a baking sheet and broil just until golden. Spoon meat mixture evenly over rolls and top with cheese.
- Broil 3 to 5 minutes, or just until cheese has melted. Cut sandwiches in half and serve with additional picante sauce, if desired.
If you like Cheddar cheese, why not try a Tex-Mex cheese blend instead of just the Monterey Jack? And if you're starting with leftover steak, just cut it into thin strips, add it to the skillet with the picante sauce and continue as directed from there.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Are you looking for the perfect side dish to pair with your favorite pot roast or German sausages? Try our Old-Fashioned German Stuffing! This hot and hearty stuffing is loaded with fresh sauerkraut, crumbled bacon, and rye bread, so you know it's got an authentic taste!