Pickled Watermelon Rind Bruschetta Bites
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Shannon K. came up with this creative watermelon recipe that will wow the crowd! It combines pickled watermelon rind with goat cheese and fresh basil. Spread it on toasted French bread, and you have an appetizer recipe that will be a refreshing summertime - or anytime snack! It shouldn't come as a surprise that these Pickled Watermelon Rind Bruschetta Bites earned Shannon the title of Grand Prize Winner in the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Contest! Congrats Shannon!
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups (1/2-inch dice) watermelon rind
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 French baguette, sliced on the diagonal and toasted
- 1 (4-ounce) package spreadable goat cheese
What to Do
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil until hot. Add watermelon rind and onion; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, salt, and pepper; continue to cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon basil and cook 15 to 20 more minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Spread each baguette slice evenly with goat cheese. Top with a spoonful of warm pickled watermelon rind. Sprinkle with extra basil before serving.
Test Kitchen Tip
- Can’t find spreadable goat cheese, no problem. Simply combine 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles mixed with 1/4 cup heavy cream and mix until smooth.
- For more creative watermelon recipes, check out the winners of the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Contest, hosted by the Watermelon Board, make sure to click below!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Calories 184
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2g 3 %
- Saturated Fat 1.0g 5 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 1.9g 4 %
- Cholesterol 2.9mg 1 %
- Sodium 196mg 8 %
- Total Carbohydrates 38g 13 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.3g 1 %
- Sugars 26g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This hearty, all-in-one, beefed-up dinner will definitely knock your lederhosen socks off! Our Slow Cooker Short Ribs and Cabbage is a German-inspired dish that features meaty ribs in a sweet and tangy sauce with lots of cabbage. It's a slow cooker dinner that'll have everyone saying, "Ach Das Schmeckt!" (That's "OOH IT'S SO GOOD!!" in German!)