Homemade Candy Recipes: 20 Old Fashioned Recipes for Chocolate Candy, Fudge & More
Lemon Laced Watermelon Rind Candy
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Mary S. came up with a candy recipe that the whole family will love, and get this, she did it with the rind of a watermelon! Talk about getting creative! When the Watermelon Board asked people come up with their best watermelon recipes, Mary blew it out of the water with her Lemon Laced Watermelon Rind Candy! What we really love about it though, is the added lemon flavoring! It's a super flavorful and creative combo that took first place in the rind category of the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Contest!
What You'll Need
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (1/2-inch dice) peeled watermelon rind
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine water, salt, and watermelon rind; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and drain well; place in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar on a 12- x 12-inch sheet of wax paper.
- In the same saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 1 cup sugar, the lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Stir in watermelon rind. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring often.
- Drain any remaining liquid from mixture and drop by teaspoonfuls onto sugar-coated wax paper. Sprinkle candy tops with remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and let sit 5 minutes.
- Gently roll each piece of candy in sugar, completely coating. Cool 10 minutes, then roll in sugar again. Cool completely before placing candies on a serving plate.
Test Kitchen Tip
- For more creative watermelon recipes, check out the winners of the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Contest, hosted by the Watermelon Board, make sure to click below!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Calories 105
- Calories from Fat 0.1
- Total Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Saturated Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 0.0g 0 %
- Cholesterol 0.0mg 0 %
- Sodium 76mg 3 %
- Total Carbohydrates 26g 9 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0 %
- Sugars 23g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
The best home fries are still the ones made in diners, you know the places that are nicknamed "greasy spoons." There's just something special about the taste of potatoes slung around a sizzling hot grill and mixed with the flavors of eggs and bacon that can't be beat. Wait until you try these - they're a breakfast (or anytime) winner.