We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
When the Watermelon Board hosted a contest asking for creative watermelon recipes, Mirielle R. pulled out all the stops for her Watermelon Chutney! She combined traditional Indian flavors with watermelon for an oh-so-good spread that's perfect for your next game day get-together, or even holiday entertaining! Trust us on this one, there's a reason Mireille's Watermelon Chutney placed 1st in the Juice category! It's that good!
What You'll Need
- About 4 cups cut up watermelon
- 2 green chilies, seeds removed (see Tip)
- 1–inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup peeled and grated watermelon rind
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
What to Do
- In a food processor, puree enough cut up watermelon to equal 2 cups of watermelon puree and set aside. In the same food processor, coarsely chop the chilies, ginger, and onion.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil until hot. Add cumin seeds and sauté 1 minute or until seeds start to brown. Add chopped chili mixture and sauté about 2 minutes or until softened. Add watermelon rind, puree, vinegar, lemon juice, lime zest, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala.
- Bring to a boil and cook 20 minutes or until thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Chill until ready to serve.
Test Kitchen Tip
- Serve with crackers or your favorite flatbread as a tasty snack. Not sure what type of chilies to use? We tested ours with jalapenos, however, feel free to mix and match the peppers depending on how much you like to spice things up. And if you aren’t sure where to find garam marsala, you’ll find it in the spice aisle of your market.
- For more creative watermelon recipes, check out the winners of the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Contest, hosted by the Watermelon Board, make sure to click below!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 0 %
- Saturated Fat 0.0 0 %
- Trans Fat 0.0 0 %
- Protein 0.0 0 %
- Cholesterol 0.0 0 %
- Sodium 0.0 0 %
- Total Carbohydrates 0.0 0 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 0 %
- Sugars 0.0 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
The best home fries are still the ones made in diners, you know the places that are nicknamed "greasy spoons." There's just something special about the taste of potatoes slung around a sizzling hot grill and mixed with the flavors of eggs and bacon that can't be beat. Wait until you try these - they're a breakfast (or anytime) winner.