Southern Chicken-Fried Steak
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
You don't have to be from the South to enjoy this down-home favorite. We like topping off this easy chicken dinner with some homemade gravy and a side of mashed potatoes and beans for a homestyle dinner worth making again and again. A country dinner is the best kind of dinner!
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds beef cubed steak
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
What to Do
In a shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat steak in flour mixture and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine egg and 1/4 cup milk; mix well. Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish. Dip coated steak into egg mixture, coating completely, then into bread crumbs; set aside. Discard any remaining coating mixture.
In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add steak and cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until juices run clear and coating is golden brown, turning occasionally. Place on a paper towel-lined platter and keep warm.
Drain off all but 2 tablespoons oil. Stir in remaining flour and brown over low heat. Add remaining salt, pepper, and milk, stirring constantly 3 to 4 minutes, or until gravy thickens.
Place meat on a serving platter and top with gravy. Serve immediately.
- If you want to give it some zip, add 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce to the gravy.
- If you like this Southern dinner recipe, be sure to check out our recipe for Extra Crispy Fried Chicken.
- If you want even more classic Southern recipes, be sure to check out our free eCookbook, Down-Home Cookin': 24 Easy Southern Favorites.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
The best home fries are still the ones made in diners, you know the places that are nicknamed "greasy spoons." There's just something special about the taste of potatoes slung around a sizzling hot grill and mixed with the flavors of eggs and bacon that can't be beat. Wait until you try these - they're a breakfast (or anytime) winner.