Southwestern Hot-Water Cornbread
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Cheesy, peppery, and yum-my, this Southwestern Hot-Water Cornbread is G-R-E-A-T. There's only one way to see if we're right... try it for yourself and see!
What You'll Need
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1-1/4 cups boiling water (see note)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Vegetable oil
- Softened butter
What to Do
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; stir in half-and-half and 1 tablespoon oil. Gradually add boiling water, stirring until batter is the consistency of oatmeal. After adding boiling water, stir in 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced; 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend; 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed; and 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 1/2-inch; place over medium-high heat. Scoop batter into a 1/4-cup measure; drop into hot oil, and fry in batches 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve with softened butter.
The amount of boiling water needed varies depending on the type of cornmeal used. Stone-ground (coarsely ground) cornmeal requires more liquid.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We've got a delicious and guilt-free way to enjoy apple coffee cake! This recipe comes from our new diabetic-friendly cookbook, Guilt-Free Comfort Favorites. Don't worry, we're not sacrificing any of the taste. In fact, just one bite, and you're going to be hooked! Don't be surprised when family and neighbors are lining up outside your kitchen for a taste of our Guilt-Free Apple Lovers' Coffee Cake!