We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This Americana classic first made its way across the South before making its way across the country. Once you give this Spoon Bread a try, we're sure it will make its way around your circle of friends and family, too.
What You'll Need
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine milk and water; simmer until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Add cornmeal, butter, sugar, and salt; stir 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and baking powder until very light and fluffy. Stir in cornmeal mixture; mix well then spoon into baking dish.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top is golden. Serve hot.
Courtesy of Christiana Campbell's Tavern, Colonial Williamsburg.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Calories 164
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0g 11 %
- Saturated Fat 3.3g 16 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 7.0g 14 %
- Cholesterol 114mg 38 %
- Sodium 828mg 34 %
- Total Carbohydrates 19g 6 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 5 %
- Sugars 4.3g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You've got to try our Homemade Jelly Donut Holes for a fun and sometimes messy treat that's great all-year-round! Wonder how we get the jelly in the middle? The secret is using a drinking straw to make space for that oh-so-sweet jelly that fills the center! Top these with powdered or cinnamon sugar, and let the family get their fingers a little sticky! Just make sure to keep the napkins handy.