Easy King Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Have you had this tri-colored Mardi Gras dessert? Our Easy King Cake is a super shortcut way of making a traditional Mardi Gras King Cake. It's definitely a cake worth celebrating!
What You'll Need:
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 gumdrop, any flavor (see Notes)
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- Red, blue, yellow and green food color
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add lemon peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, and gumdrop to cake batter and bake according to package directions. Cool completely on wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and water until mixture forms a creamy glaze. Spread glaze over top of cooled cake.
- Place 1 tablespoon granulated sugar into each of 3 small resealable plastic bags. Add 1 drop red and 1 drop blue food color to one bag to create purple sugar; mix well. Add 2 drops yellow food color to another bag; mix well. Add 2 drops green food color to remaining bag; mix well. Sprinkle colored sugars over glaze to decorate cake, as desired, for Mardi Gras or any other occasion (see Notes).
- Instead of baking a toy king into this traditional Mardi Gras dessert, we suggest a gumdrop, since it's edible. The Mardi Gras tradition is that the person who gets the king (or, in this case, the gumdrop) in their piece of cake is supposed to host the next year's Mardi Gras party.
- You'll often find King Cake as a braided, more yeasty type of cake. Ours is a simplified version, so it's more cakey and isn't braided, but it still has the traditional colors decorating the top. And what do they signify? Purple stands for Justice, green is for Faith, and gold is for Power! You see, King Cake is no ordinary cake!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Tired of serving chicken breasts the same ol' way every time? If so, then you'll love this recipe for Cheesy Baked Chicken. These chicken breasts have a cracker crumb coating made from crushed cheese crackers and sesame seeds, so you can expect lots of crunch and flavor in every bite. Plus, this one is done in just about 30 minutes, which makes it great for busy weeknights!