We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This prize-winning cake is said to have originated in Alabama back in the 1800's and it's so good we still make Lane Cake today! Our recipe for Lane Cake still calls for all the basics: coconut, pecans, and raisins, but we've taken a couple of shortcuts to make it easier than ever!
What You'll Need:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15-ounce) container coconut pecan frosting (see Note)
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, well drained and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 1 (16-ounce) container white frosting
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. In another large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, beat cake mix, water, and oil 2 minutes, or until smooth. Fold the beaten egg whites into the cake mixture. Divide batter between cake pans.
- Bake 23 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely. Cut cakes in half horizontally, forming four layers.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut pecan frosting, cherries, pecans, raisins, and brandy, if desired; mix well. Place 1 cake layer upside down on a serving plate and frost the top with one-third of the coconut pecan frosting mixture. Repeat the layers 2 more times and top with the fourth cake layer. Frost top and sides with the white frosting. Serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
- Whether the container says coconut pecan frosting or German chocolate cake frosting - as long as it has coconut and pecans, it's the one to use.
Did You Know? The lane cake is named after Emma Rylander Lane, an Alabama resident, who shared the recipe in her cookbook in 1898. She actually named the cake "Prize Cake" in her cookbook, since it was a prize-winning cake recipe at a baking contest in Georgia. Lane Cake is currently under review to become the official state dessert of Alabama.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Two of your favorite flavors come together in this delicious cake recipe. Our Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cake is topped with a fluffy layer of marshmallow creme and a creamy-smooth peanut butter frosting that's oh-so-delectable and simply irresistible!
- Neighborly Banana Cake
- Heavenly Freezer Cake
- Homemade Frosting Recipes: 18 Frosting Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, and More
- Cake Mix Recipes: 39 To-Die-For Recipes with Cake Mix
- 28 Best Bundt Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Surprise Cake
- Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Million Dollar Pound Cake
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Fabulous Carrot Cake