We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This hearty south-of-the-border beefy Tamale Casserole made with an easy cornmeal crust is simply out of this world. Teamed with your favorite Tex-Mex go-alongs, its got just the right amount of spice and stick-to-your-ribs comfort!
What You'll Need
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (6-ounce can) pitted black olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
What to Do
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a large skillet over high heat, cook ground chuck and onion until browned. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, mix milk with cornmeal and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened. Line bottom and sides of prepared casserole dish with cooked cornmeal.
Stir corn and olives into meat mixture and spoon into casserole dish.
- Bake 20 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and cook 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and meat is heated through.
- Recipe adapted from Beyond Delicious: The Ghost Whisperer's Cookbook, by Mary Ann Winkowski and David Powers.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Calories 558
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 30g 46 %
- Saturated Fat 11g 55 %
- Trans Fat 1.1g 0 %
- Protein 32g 65 %
- Cholesterol 99mg 33 %
- Sodium 1,269mg 53 %
- Total Carbohydrates 41g 14 %
- Dietary Fiber 4.9g 20 %
- Sugars 8.5g 0 %