We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The French call a dish similar to this cassoulet. We've taken a few shortcuts but it's still a dish that will remind you of a hearty, flavorful poultry dish you'd find served in the French countryside.
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks (about 8 pieces)
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 (14- to 16-ounce) cans cannellini (white kidney beans), drained (see Note)
What to Do
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken for 10 minutes on each side. Add onions and saute about 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients and add to chicken.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- You can use any type of white bean here in place of the cannellini beans...you know, garbanzo beans (chick peas), black-eyed peas, or others.
- If you like this recipe for Countryside Chicken, be sure to check out our collection of 15 Simple Chicken Drumstick Recipes.