Orange Baked Alaska
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
After a big meal, when we need something sweet but not too filling, these stuffed oranges are just the answer! They certainly sound fancy and complicated, but they're 1-2-3 easy.
What You'll Need
- 3 large oranges
- 1 quart orange sherbet
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon sugar
What to Do
- Cut the oranges in half crosswise. Carefully remove the pulp from the oranges and reserve for another use, taking care to keep the peels intact. Cut a small slice off the bottom of each orange half, without slicing through, so that it sits flat on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place a large scoop of sherbet in each orange shell. Place in the freezer until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, with an electric beater on high speed, beat the egg whites and sugar for 4 to 6 minutes, until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the sherbet-filled oranges from the freezer and completely cover the sherbet with the egg white mixture (see Note). Bake for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve immediately or cover loosely and keep frozen.
Make sure the sherbet is frozen solid before covering with the egg white mixture and baking.